As a local, it’s pretty easy to see who didn’t get the memo re what to pack when visiting Port Douglas Daintree and it usually entails a couple of minor wardrobe fails, while sporting a fresh red-pink skin tone.
But don’t stress! If you are reading this memo way too late, a visit to the Port Douglas shopping precinct on Macrossan Street will see you coolly sauntering down the street in true troppo fashion. Here are a couple of guiding principles to help you blend in with the locals: p
Rule 1: Relax. The style is casual so all you need are comfortable, lightweight clothes. Unless specified on the wedding or event invitation, leave your jacket and tie behind, because they are not necessary even at formal restaurants.
2. In the winter months, a light layer will be welcome in the evenings for embracing the Port Douglas al fresco dining options.
3. Don't get us wrong, we love to glam up Port Douglas - with an event calendar filled with celebrity chef dinners, water-front parties under the stars and long lunches worth skipping breakfast for, stepping out in style is a regular thing.
4. Do we even need to remind you to bring your swimmers? Between the glorious Great Barrier Reef, Port Douglas resort pools and stunning rainforest rivers, you'll need to bring a few options.
5. Havaianas are essential. Although think about bringing your ‘good thongs’ if you are considering a late-night boogie, come on we have standards!
6. Thongs and open-toed sandals are generally fine for day tours to the rainforest, although you may consider packing your sandshoes to burn off breakfast with a jog along Four Mile Beach at Port Douglas or hike through Daintree National Park trails.
6. Sun protection is essential! You need a hat that covers your face a little more than the tourist-badge-fedora-type (sorry to sound like your mum) and of course, your holiday sunglasses – these can be as ridiculous as you like, you are on holiday! Remember to minimize your sun exposure and SLIP, SLOP, SLAP! There is nothing worse than getting an all-over pink-red look on your first day to ruin your holiday pics!
7. Bring a hair straightener at your own risk! The glorious tropical climate lends itself to a more 'boho-beach-bun' look, which fits in perfectly with the relaxed, chic vibe of Port Douglas and the tropical rainforest at Daintree. Complete the look with a couple of freshly picked blooms to decorate your hair. Bring it along by all means – but you have been warned!
What is your essential item for a Port Douglas Daintree holiday? Shop more here.
Added to list